Yesterday's post got me thinking about how I could start writing more. I think I've landed on the idea of just posting when I feel like it, no matter how random or dumb it may seem. I'm hoping this will help strengthen my writing skills (which have greatly diminished since college) and maybe help fill some of that creative void I've been feeling for a while now.
Today I'm going to talk about breakfast. Specifically the simple little breakfast that I've been eating for nearly 3 years, but can't seem to get sick of: Egg Toast. There's lots of variations on this and I've experimented with many, but for the sake of simplicity I'll stick with the formula I've been using (and loving) for the last 6 months or so. To help feed my creative side I've created a quick little diagram to show off the construction that goes along with the recipe....if you can even call it that.
Egg Toast (hummus variation)
1 slice of bread (I prefer Sara Lee 45 calorie bread...because calories)
1 tbs your favorite hummus
handful of greens (lately I've been digging the Taylor Farms Power Greens)
4-6 grape tomatoes
hot sauce (gotta have that burn)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Crack your egg into a small un-heated frying pan, set the heat to medium, and cover.
2. Get your bread toasted while the egg cooks.
3. While the toast does its thing, slice the tomatoes in half.
4. When the toast is done, slather on that hummus and top with the greens.
5. When your egg is nearing cooking completion (I like it over easy, so at this point my egg is mostly set with just a little bit of clear whites on top) toss your tomatoes into the pan then salt & pepper everything.
6. When the egg is finished cooking remove the pan from the heat, put the tomatoes on the greens, then top that with the egg.
7. Shake your bottle of Tapatio and get ready to start dousing.
8. Eat the damn thing.
If you're concerned about calories like I am, this dish (with my specific ingredients) comes in at 187 calories and is pretty filling.